Reformed Church Nursery School Handbook
Nursery School Information and Procedures
WE HOPE TO WORK CLOSELY WITH OUR FAMILIES TO ASSURE THAT THE NEEDS OF EACH CHILD ARE MET AND THAT EACH CHILD’S INDIVIDUAL TALENTS AND GIFTS ARE NURTURED TO THEIR FULLEST POTENTIAL. THIS IS A TEAM EFFORT AND COMMUNICATION BETWEEN OUR FAMILIES AND THE SCHOOL IS TANTAMOUNT TO ENSURE OUR CHILDREN’S SUCCESS.
PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT AND IMMUNIZATION RECORD: Each child enrolled in our program must have evidence of a yearly physical as well as immunization forms signed by your pediatrician. These are usually submitted with your registration and are updated each year. Any medical or religious exemptions must be put in writing and signed by a physician licensed to practice in NY State.
ILLNESS OR EMERGENCY SITUATIONS: Each child must have an Emergency Information card on file with the School Nurse as well as their classroom teacher. This includes your name and phone numbers where you may be reached (home, office and cell) as well as listing family members/friends who can be called if you can’t be reached.
WHEN YOUR CHILD IS SICK: If your child is going to be absent from school, please contact the School Nurse. The following guidelines should be used when trying to decide whether to send your child to school. Keep your child home if he/she exhibits any of the following symptoms:
- Runny nose-especially if it is thick yellow or green in color
- Excessive sneezing or coughing
- Sore throat
Children should not return to school until SYMPTOM-FREE FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS. Some times an extra day of rest helps to avoid a relapse. WIth any contagious illness, please contact the school.
MEDICATIONS IN SCHOOL: Please inform the nurse and your child’s teacher of any medications your child may be taking. If your child has any “life-threatening” allergies, you will need to fill out forms and provide Benadryl/Epi-pens in the event of an allergic reaction at school.
Please do not hesitate to call our school nurse, Celeste Kelly, if you have any questions or concerns at 914-337-0441.
SCHOOL VISITS: School visits take place in September. Your child’s teacher will contact you to arrange a convenient time to meet with her at school. This helps children and families to get acquainted with the teacher and ensures a smooth and happy transition from home to school.
PARENT CONFERENCES: Parent conferences are held in the fall and in the spring for our 2, 3, 4 and 5 year olds. This is an opportunity for you and your child’s teacher to discuss your child’s development.
COMMUNICATIONS: You will receive information via email and through the bookbag on a regular basis. Weekly school news is sent via Constant Contact. Teachers send out monthly school newsletters. Any school-related information is found on our website www.rcns.info
DROP OFF RULES
PARKING GUIDELINES: Please observe the following guidelines whether you walk the child in or drive the child to school:
- Do not park in the church parking lot on Midland Avenue side; all the spaces in this lot are reserved.
- Do not park on the grass anywhere on church property.
- Do not block the teachers’ parking spots next to the school entrance (the small driveway off Kraft Avenue in front of the threes’ playground.) The teachers have a very short lunch break between sessions and after school obligations and need to be able to leave promptly.
- Do not park in the Fire Zone on Midland Avenue. (Many tickets have been issued for ignoring this.)
- Do not block or park in our neighbors’ driveways even just for a minute. Please inform anyone bringing your child to school of the policy especially if someone is filling in for you or your babysitter.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO WALK TO SCHOOL THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY:The outer doors will be open so that you may wait in the entry area for school to open at 8:45 A.M. and 12:15 P.M. If you or your sitter chooses to walk your child into school you must find a legal parking space in town. Legal spaces are limited on Kraft, Meadow, Pondfield and Midland Avenues.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO CARPOOL TO SCHOOL THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY: The car pool line begins at the sidewalk leading to the school entrance and wraps around the corner of Kraft and Midland Avenues across from the firehouse. This zone is for waiting only, and is not a parking area. Leaving your car in the car pool line creates a dangerous situation for others lined up behind who must pull around your car.
From 8:45 to 9:00 A.M., and from 12:15 to 12:30 P.M., a member of the staff will meet all cars at the curb in front of the Kraft Avenue entrance. They will open all car doors, and help the children get out of the car, one car at a time as each car moves up in line. Please keep children in their child restraints and use extreme caution when pulling away from the curb for the children’s safety.
- If you arrive after 9:00 A.M. or 12:30 P.M., you must accompany your child to the classroom.
- If your child is reluctant to leave the car, please park your car in a legal space and bring your child directly to the classroom or wait until after drop off when you may park in front of the school.
- Children may not be let out of a car on the other side of Kraft Avenue and made to cross the street.
- Please make sure that taxis and cars do not drop you on the other side of the street.
- Taxis or cars may not double park in front of the school.
PICK UP RULES
We are very fortunate to have Mr. Bill Liptack help us during pick up time. Please make sure that you follow all the pick up rules.
PICK UP: At pick-up time please line up in the car pool line or find a legal spot in the school vicinity. The pick up line begins on Midland. Mr. Liptack will direct you to a spot on Kraft when one becomes available.
- Do not leave young children in the car or outside the school unattended.
- Please do not double park in front of the school.Â Double parking creates a dangerous situation for pedestrians – children and adults – as well as for drivers trying to pass on Midland Avenue.
- Do not park your car on Midland Avenue on the pick up line. This creates a hazardous situation.
The doors are opened at 11:15 A.M. and 2:45 P.M for our 3′s and 4′s; 11:00 AM and 2:30 PM for our 2 year olds. We appreciate your promptness at pick-up time. Lateness is upsetting for the children and causes a hardship for the staff. When driving other children home as part of a car pool, please be certain that someone appears at the door before you leave a child at his or her house. Please make sure that you go over all the rules with your caregiver and family members. It is very difficult for them if they do not know the rules. This will avoid any chronic problems. If you have any questions about any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact me: email@example.com
Equipment and Clothing Requirements
- NAME TAGS on all removable clothing. This includes sweaters, mittens, boots, jackets, sneakers, caps, scarves, etc.
- We help children learn to dress themselves for outdoor play, so please provide simple, washable, comfortable clothing.
- Rubber soled shoes or sneakers and boots that they can easily handle for outside play. Sandals and crocs are discouraged. Boots may not be worn in school so please make sure shoes are packed for the day.
- FOR ALL CHILDREN: A complete change of clothing in a plastic zip lock bag marked with your child’s name in case of spills. Please make sure you change these seasonally.
- We try to spend as much time outdoors as the weather will permit, so please dress your child in WARM CLOTHING on cooler days.
If school must be closed due to inclement weather or other situation, you will be notified by telephone and email. In general, we follow the Bronxville School district’s decision on inclement weather.
DADS’ VISITING DAY: For Pre-K only: Fathers may visit during all or part of the session. In the event a father is unable to come, a relative or family friend may be invited instead. Please check the school calendar for the date.
MOMS’ VISITING DAY: For 3 year olds only: Mothers may spend all or part of the session. In the event a mother is unable to come, a relative or family friend may be invited instead. Please check the school calendar for the date.
SPECIAL PERSONS’ DAY: for Jr. K only: A special person may visit and spend all or part of the session. Please check the school calendar for the date.
CHRISTMAS PAGEANT: This is held in December. The 3′s, 4′s and Pre-K participate in this pageant and all families are invited.
Details will follow regarding the event.
GRADUATION: Parents, siblings and other family members are invited, and we will send you the details as the time draws near.
Healthy/organic snacks are provided by the Nursery School each day.
There is an annual snack fee per child.
Experience has shown us that celebrating birthdays in the 2′s can be very confusing and stressful. Instead of individual birthday celebrations, the 2′s have a ZOO DAY where all the children receive a hat and balloon. It really is fun for everyone and takes the confusion out of celebrating individual birthdays. In the 3′s, Pre-K and Jr. K each birthday is celebrated at school, and we welcome your sending a special treat for the whole class at snack time. You are also welcome to come read your child’s favorite story to the class on his/her special day. Those children with summer birthdays may wish to bring a birthday snack before the actual date. Please inform your teacher. All arrangements for parties outside school must be made at home. INVITATIONS WILL NOT BE DISTRIBUTED IN SCHOOL UNLESS EVERY CHILD IN THE CLASS IS RECEIVING AN INVITATION.